Friday, September 11, 2020

Puzzlerium Tour: Shikaku Fillomino

Today's offering from the Puzzlerium is a couple of back-to-back puzzles. First up is a hybrid between Shikaku and Fillomino. Fillomino is a favorite region division puzzle. Ever since I was enticed by this genre, I have written dozens of fillomino puzzles and I can't  get enough of it. Shikaku is one puzzle that most of us don't find very interesting in the classic form, while it's mutations and hybrids can change that in many ways.

I wanted to make the most of what Geometry can do in a Shikaku Fillomino and the puzzle I am presenting here seems to have met my expectations.   


RulesDivide the grid along the gridlines into some regions, and fill each of the empty cells with a number. When two cells containing the same number touch along an edge, they must belong to the same region. Given numbers represent the area of the region they belong to. A region may contain none, or one or more of the givens. All regions need to be rectangular (as in Shikaku).

Solution videos for the Slitherlink and Go Square puzzles are linked here:

https://youtu.be/xiGVkWNz2WU


https://youtu.be/QQo0pbd5W-4


Up next on the series is a delightful Nurikabe that should be available later today, and should I find time, walkthrough videos for both the Fillomino and Nurikabe should be out in the same post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment